This is my go-to dough recipe, and i have used this tons of time to prepare a dough that has a crispy crust but is also soft and tender from the inside.
The added herbs, egg and garlic powder adds a very nice taste to the dough and hence you can also use this recipe to bake a very tasty bread.
- All-purpose flour 2 and 1/2 cups
- Olive Oil (any vegetable oil) 2 Tbsp
- Crushed Oregano and Basil (Optional*) 1 Tbsp
- Fine Sugar 2 Tbsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Garlic Powder 1 tsp
- Yeast 1 package (i usually add half a packet if i am keeping it to rise at a warm place for 2-3 hours)
- Milk and water mixture (half and half) 1 cup
- Egg (optional) 1 Medium
- Prepare the yeast by dissolving it in the Milk and water mixture at 110°F-115°F. Let this mixture stand until yeast begins to foam. (I added the yeast directly to my bowl as the yeast i use doesn’t needs to be prepared).
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, salt, sugar, garlic powder and herbs (crushed oregano and basil*).
- Now add the olive oil and egg (optional*) and mix well.
- Start needing the dough by adding the yeast and milk/water mixture you created in step one. Don’t add all at once or the dough might get too soft.
- Process until dough forms a sticky ball.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and KNEAD the dough until smooth (add more flour if dough is very sticky, about 1 minute).
- Brush a large bowl lightly with olive oil and transfer the dough to this prepared bowl, now turn dough in bowl to coat it with oil.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in warm area until doubled in volume.
- Your dough is ready to be worked :).
Note : Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Store the dough in airtight container in refrigerator.